Thursday, September 24, 2009

When the Levity Breaks.

When I sat down three days ago and began typing out what would become the introduction to this blog, I had a certain vision of straight forward comedy involving a failed 30’something entrepreneur and a silly four year old whose happy go lucky exploits would paint a picture of both growth and zeal for life. The last two blogs haven’t quite done that as much as allow you to look at some of her characteristics through my eyes.

That's the funny thing about the creative process, “direction” and “vision” really aren’t words that always apply. In fact, as I type these few paragraphs, I am not even sure I know where this blog will end up taking us. What I do know is that so far (for me at least) these daily musings about my life intertwined with that of a toddler have been both therapeutic and entertaining. Sure there are some out there far more professional and have much better grammatical skills than I that might find it easy to sit in front of a laptop focused on a set goal and go from start to that goal with no problem. Apparently that kind of thing isn’t my bag.

I will admit that I do often have some sort of purpose. And I in a backwards way I almost always achieve it, but my path rarely goes from A to B. My creative process more resembles that kid Billy from Family Circus… kind of all over the place like spaghetti noodles thrown on a table. Call it A to F by way of purple.

In this respect I am probably a lot like the Kalen-nator. I am guessing that when she goes into her room (more often ours); she sets off to play one thing and ends up playing about ten different others. I often see her starting the day by playing kitchen, heading over to doctor, stopping off for some television, having lunch, putting her babies to bed and ending up dancing with the Jonas Brothers. Bottom line is that she is happy. Which I’m sure was her goal all along.

Since there are such similarities in her playing and my blogging, I guess I could always turn this blog over to her. I can see the changes now... each day you would be reading about Aunt Di Di, you’d be asking yourself what turtle she is referring to (the turtle being her new imaginary pet), and you probably would hear all about the latest misadventures of the iCarly crew.

Ok, so not quite Pulitzer Prize winning stuff… but on the upside there’d probably be fewer typos.

Speaking of, did you know that Joseph Pulitzer lived from right here in Saint Louis. It’s true, I looked it up. Now remember that some day in the distant future while playing some trivial game and this comes up: “Name two famous writers that lived in the greater Saint Louis area.”

Done for the day - J

PS, in case I have to hit you over the head with my witty implication... the other answer is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment