Saturday, November 21, 2009

I’ll Take the ‘Helper and a Brutus of Bud Light

Hopefully this will be the last blog I begin by referring to my new job. I promise I’ll try and make that so. But for the most part I just simply can’t set up the premise without telling you that although I’ve chronicled the trials and pitfalls of my new career, I have yet to reap the spoils of my first paycheck.

That came yesterday.

It was touch and go before that… the wife, the kid, and the me have been pinching pennies trying to get by…all the while trying to keep food flowing through our gullets.

This is pretty easy to accomplish with the Kalenator; a Lunchable here and there, some PB&J, or maybe some leftover pizza and her engine fires on all cylinders. The wife and I are a different story, we’ve been doing whatever it takes to stay full. Sometimes that means not so big spending on Little Caesar’s (that place is a life saver), but mostly it means a metric s#!t ton of Hamburger Helper.

It’s funny, in college, Hamburger Helper was almost celebrated. It was a key ingredient in most of our male feasts. That and some beer made for the beginning (sometimes end) to many a great night. It was the choice fuel in our manly machines. Now I look at it as possibly the surf and turf of the mid to upper lower class.

If Applebee’s decided to change its business model to cater to the same demographic, they could virtually do an entire menu devoted to the “Double H”.

All that having been said, one of my most glorious achievements as an early twenties adult was a homemade variation of the ‘Helper called Hamburger Surprise. The surprise was that it was incredibly good. And I’m fairly certain it was not unlike rice in a sense that it took minimal amounts to fill you up… and it stayed with you for days.

It might be modern man’s most perfect food.

Just chaulk that up to one of my many great discoveries. I feel that one day I should publish a book of all my great accomplishments; Hamburger Surprise, the McNugget Happy Meal, and Dominos giving you a side of pizza sauce for dipping. Just to name a few.

These things could be my legacy to my offspring, something that would let them know their dad was a great man.

That is if they couldn't figure it out on their own - J

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute, you're telling me that not only did you invent the McNugget Happy Meal, but you lay claim to Hamburger Surprise AND Dominos dipping sauce too? Wow. That hat trick makes you like the Forrest Gump of food. Granted, during his adventures and accidental inventions, he got to meet a President. But hey, you crop-dusted the Hef, so, you've got that.

    ReplyDelete