Monday, November 16, 2009

.32 Special

New job. New things to learn. New headaches.

I think the best way for me to illustrate my first two weeks at my new job for you is to compare it to being a catcher squating to catch ten balls from ten different pitchers throwing to me all at once. Sure… every once in a while I get lucky and catch a few. But mostly the majority of them go flying by.

It’s not all bad all the time, I just feel that maybe sometimes the information isn’t being given to me in a way that hardly anyone would ever catch any of it. And that makes it more then a little frustrating at times.

I could be wrong. It could be that I am just getting to be an “old dog”. And all of this info is like the “new tricks” that you just can’t teach me. Maybe it is way easier to teach a pup to roll over and speak then me about mitered corners and soffit. After all, it did seem way easier to start to teach Kalen the alphabet.

Or maybe letters are just a much cooler thing to a four year old then siding to someone thirty-two.

The sponges we call brains must be bone dry as kids… mine appears to be all soaked up. This could explain why 5 weeks ago Kalen couldn’t tell you one letter in her name, now she can practically write it out. I on the other hand, can barely tell you what color siding can be matched with what caulk or if we have it in stock.

Ok…

It isn’t as bad as I am letting on. I am actually picking some stuff up here and there. By the time it gets to be the busy season it should be old hat. It’ll be a while before I am an expert, but I bet I’ll be able to talk shingles with the best of ‘em by the first of the new year. Hell, I bet Kalen might even be able to spell her last name as well by then. But that’s cheating… her last name is only four letters long and two of them are the same.

She clearly has the upper hand.

Ah well... they say nothings lost or won, and what you learn is soon forgotten.

That sounds about right to me - J

1 comment:

  1. kalen may have an easy last name to spell, but if it makes you feel any better...everyone will always mispronounce it.

    ReplyDelete