Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Happy Heart Day

Happy Valentine’s Day people.

I would love to sit and write this blog and tell you that up until I met my wife, I’ve never given much weight to this holiday. The operative phrase being that I would love to tell you that. The truth is… I’ve always liked the day. I’ve never really taken the masculine stance of it being manufactured or some kind of racket to steal our manly hard earned dollars. Nope, I’ve always felt that with the right focus and viewed with the right clarity… it can be a pretty beneficial holiday for us guys.

That said. I once broke up with a girl on Valentine’s Day. In my defense I thought it was just a normal Tuesday until she showed up with a big heart shaped cookie and some gift wrapped present.

Just so you know, I never ate the cookie or found out was in the present.

Like I said earlier, I’ve always like the day. But it does seem that this time around, this one is much better. Maybe because the air seems clearer, the food tastes better, and the sun shines brighter… well that last part isn’t quite true… right now its snowing for the umpteenth time this season… but that’s not really the point.

The point is having a family for V-Day is way better then being a single man. It’s true I tell you. Just yesterday I spent my Valentine date with wife and daughter walking with dinosaurs at the Science Center. That was followed by some romantic grocery shopping and an evening of TV on the couch watching NBA All-Star Weekend with a bottle of wine and one sexy pregnant wife (she did not have the wine).

I’m not even trying to be funny. I really enjoyed the whole day. Why if it wasn’t for last weekend, it might have been my favorite so far of this young year.

Last weekend I found myself caught in one of those unexpected “I am now almost a grown up” moments. We took the Sunday and went baby registering (at Target and Babies R Us in case you wanted to know) and it was some of the best fun I’ve ever had. I took every chance I could to scan every “daddy’s little girl” item within range. When the Kalenator and Melissa went to the bathroom I probably scanned at least 5 or 6 more of ‘em.

You might say I got a little out of control.

But I think that’s ok. After all, this is my first bio-kid and in the past I may have became a little more over zealous for some much more trivial things. So I feel I am entitled. Besides, I figure proportionately the extremity of my behavior isn’t near as bad as it will be when both of my little girls start dating.

When that day comes, someone may need to tell me to dial it back just a little.

For now I’ll just take pleasure in being out of control - J

3 comments:

  1. This from the man who invented Beer and Bros day. For shame! Carter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I totally forgot about Beer and Bros. Day. How quickly the mind goes as we age.

    At least my reflection of said day tells me it was a roaring success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so bad for the kid that tries to date either Kalen or your upcoming daughter (I use the term "upcoming" as it now has the added excitement of a new movie!)

    ReplyDelete