Saturday, December 5, 2009

I Clicked My Heels Together Three Times and All That Happened Was Ridicule Over My Bad Dancing.

I like new shoes.

Well to be exact I like most every new article of clothing. Socks, plain white t-shirts, boxers, etc. I like the feeling of "newness" when I put ‘em on.

But most of all, I like new shoes.

When I was young I loved getting new cleats. They gave me a feeling that these were the missing element to my making the big club one day. The same with hoop’s sneakers… I was sure that I was soon to start bringing the thunder in a tomahawk like ‘Nique... me the next "human highlight reel."

Just last week, on Black Friday, I got new shoes… new boots to be exact. Work boots if need for being more exact.

I watch Kalen get new shoes and new cute boots, and she loves it. She parades around in them, shows her new stylish kicks off to every familiar face she comes across. No doubt she thinks herself on the verge of some fashionista. I’m sure that’s the little girl equivalent to visualizing becoming a pro athlete.

But now I’m in my thirties. And one would think all that foolish head in clouds stuff would be done.

Not so.

In fact, with my new work boots when I walk, I think I’m taller. And I probably am compared to small sole's of my sneakers. But that isn’t it. I feel taller, stronger, and have much more of a manly presence. They are steel toed after all.

After a winter helping out in the warehouse I am sure that will pass and they will revert to feeling like the worn down souls of any shoes made for slaving away. But for now, I feel like a champ.

It also makes me feel good to know that at thirty-two I can still be affected by trivial things like new clothes. It gives me hope that Kalen may never have to grow up completely. She can have that Sex and the City feeling well into her thirties… or forties if one bought in Sarah Jessica Parker’s TV and silver screen body of work.

So I will enjoy my break in time with the new steel toed work boots. I will smile every time the Kalenator puts on her new brown fashion heavy boots. And we’ll go around pointing them out to anyone that will listen. Because we can and it makes us smile.

And don’t get me started on my new super warm work coat.

It’s like a suit of armor - J

No comments:

Post a Comment